WHAT ARE MOLDS?
Mold is a rapidly growing fungus that will spread aggressively throughout wherever the mold begins its dramatic formation and that will allow for airborne pollutants to be produced and spread in the air. All mold species will reproduce through the releasing of mold spores in the air that will travel throughout the air and attached to surfaces to begin its new surface growth. However, with some mold species, other substances will also be produced and released into the air in addition to the mold spores that mold already emits into the air - these toxic substances are known as mycotoxins!
What are mycotoxins?
Toxic compounds are naturally produced by certain types of molds that are dangerous since it has been known for causing disease and death in both humans and animals! According to the IL Department of Public Health (IDPH), exposure to many species of mold can cause health issues due to the release of allergens, irritants, and toxins. Oftentimes, the reaction that a person has will vary based on the exposure levels, age of the person, and person’s sensitivities or allergies. Individuals can be exposed to mycotoxins through inhalation, ingestion, or skin contact, and when this occurs it can provoke a variety of adverse health effects. These mycotoxins are created by microfungi that will impact a person’s health and cause neurotoxicity!
Mycotoxins Symptoms can include the following: